A well-known Microbiologist and building consultant has warned that Australians 'don't recognise how dangerous mould issues can be', and has called for building code changes.
Dr Black told AAP 'it is particularly problematic in newer, more energy efficient apartments with poor ventilation'.
At the most benign end of the scale, even short term exposure can cause cold and flu-like symptoms for those with compromised immune systems, and 'the longer they are exposed to it, the sicker they get' he said.
An Architecture Australia spokesman, Peter Georgiev, said 'Even minor signs of damp may indicate a far more serious underlying problem. And that is often hard to spot and expensive to fix, especially if it is hidden in places such as wall cavities or ceiling spaces'.
'Every house is potentially a mould factory'
While surface cleaning with vinegar and chemicals will help, they are not effective against the hidden problem.
IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MOULD PROBLEM, CALL US AT XSPOR TODAY AND ASK ABOUT OUR SPECIAL OFFER.